Approximately 400,000 eligible unemployment insurance claimants will … Related topics. November 25, 2020 GMT. Donna Lewis has been a DJ for over … The new benefits … BATON ROUGE - Tuesday, 2 On Your Side heard back from a handful of people who said their unemployment claim has been resolved. Lakeisha Burkett, 38, filed for federal unemployment benefits in August and even obtained a court judgment after several appeals but has yet to receive any unemployment. To sign up for free CityBusiness updates, click here. Since March, the state has administered nearly $7 billion in unemployment claims across 700,000 individuals. The state has submitted its paperwork to the U.S. Department of Labor to provide an extra $300 in weekly federal unemployment benefits to Louisiana’s residents. The goal is to restart the lawn care business this year. For the week ending Jan. 2, Louisiana had 17,119 new unemployment claims, the most of any state in the nation, the federal government says. It's making things worse.". He filed for unemployment in June after searching for a job since March when the coffee shop he worked for shut down due to the coronavirus pandemic. Federal pandemic unemployment compensation provides an additional $300 per week on top of regular state unemployment benefits. Federal money earmarked to add $600 to unemployment funds has been provided by the U.S. government. CDC: Latest Updates • Prevention & Treatment • Symptoms • FAQs; Center for Disease Control: Coronavirus. But like Kennedy, there are still a lot of old claimants waiting for help. ... By Wednesday, five additional states — Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, Tennessee and … (BRPROUD) – The Federal Covid-19 Relief Package included more unemployment funding and some Louisianans are already seeing the benefits. Burkett estimates she is owed about $3,000 in back-pay. If you were laid off, the state unemployment office would calculate whether you'd receive benefits for the $30,000 via PUA or $20,000 via unemployment insurance but not a … And Colorado, Missouri and Utah have yet to announce when the $300 weekly benefit will begin. louisiana unemployment benefits application online: louisiana unemployment: louisiana unemployment benefits application covid 19 : 1 result. Following the holiday weekend, 2 On Your Side asked for more updates to the situation that has thousands of Louisiana claimants waiting to hear back about their unemployment benefits. "I've sent them anything they've asked for several times. A Covid relief bill Congress passed Monday offers an extra $300 in unemployment benefits each week. Jobless benefits are vital for residents like Allen, a 61-year-old disabled U.S. Navy veteran. They haven't heard back about their unemployment benefits for weeks. There are additional requirements to verify self-employment for new PUA claims in an effort to curb fraudulent claims, which the state encountered in November when it saw an unexpected surge in claims. Email Kristen Mosbrucker at kmosbrucker@theadvocate.com. (Photo by David Grunfeld, NOLA.com, The Times-Picayune | The New Orleans Advocate). The maximum is $247. The LSU Tiger basketball team had no answers and not enough defense to stop a smoking red-hot Alabama Crimson Tide team on Tuesday night in the... LSU baseball releases 2021 schedule, full slate with midweek games. In the Baton Rouge metro area, there are more than 10,000 residents with unemployment claims, about 5,900 of them in East Baton Rouge Parish as of late December. BATON ROUGE - Tuesday, 2 On Your Side heard back from a handful of people who said their unemployment claim has been resolved. If you do not know how […] Louisiana’s unemployment trust fund is down to $210 million, Edwards said Tuesday. “Currently we have in the neighborhood of 200,000 people currently receiving unemployment benefits” said Louisiana Workforce Commission’s Secretary, Ava Dejoie. Bryce and Brock Brown leading the charge towards a state title for... For help accessing the WBRZ-TV Public File, contact: Jason White at. That will boost the maximum unemployment benefits available in Louisiana to $547 a week, with the state and federal payments combined, once the federal dollars start flowing to the state. She and her husband ran a small motor repair shop and lawn care business in West Monroe but closed down due to the coronavirus pandemic and also from significant damage after Hurricane Laura. Since Oct. 10, the state has paid more than $501 million in state unemployment benefits ranging between $30.4 million and $56.7 million each week, according to a public online dashboard. Edwards understands the frustrations that many people have and wants them to receive their benefits as soon as possible. As of Sept. 26, 179,449 people in Louisiana were receiving unemployment benefits — 9.5% of all eligible workers in the state. BATON ROUGE, La. Depending on the size of the state benefit, which varies based on prior income but tops out at $247 in Louisiana, the enhanced unemployment benefits have paid the equivalent of a … "I am behind, I owe Entergy, I owe my phone service carrier, I owe everybody," said Kennedy. LDH calls for retired medical professionals to volunteer for vaccine administration, Despite all odds, woman celebrates 105th birthday after battling COVID, pneumonia, strokes. As a result, all unemployment seekers may experience a delay in payment of benefits. Noel and her daughter Alaya Frederick are both out of work due to the pandemic. Click to copy. It is supposed to be on top of any state unemployment benefits, which means Louisiana recipients could receive up to $547 each week for 11 weeks — with $247 of that being the state maximum benefit. The head of the Louisiana Workforce Commission (LWC), the agency that handles unemployment claims, said Tuesday, April 7 that she and her staff are committed to “helping each and every Louisiana citizen” in need of unemployment benefits. A state-by-state analysis of who will be receiving President Trump's enhanced $300 weekly unemployment benefit. "You cannot get through to the unemployment if you call them," Frederick said. The $300 per week extra payment program is expected to last until March 13. Update hourly. States like Oklahoma, Virginia and Texas don't plan to … They are considering applying for the federal Paycheck Protection Program after the unemployment benefits situation is fixed. ... UPDATE: Gov. Initial unemployment insurance claims for the week ending June 27 rose to 21,976 from the week ending June 20 total of … FEMA Status: Approved 8/15/2020. Instead, the federal government is allowing states to use the amount for state benefits as the match. Louisiana under Gov. UPDATE All Louisianians who were receiving unemployment benefits prior to the CARES Act ending in December, are able to continue receiving benefits without filing a new claim. The Coronavirus & $600 Per Week Louisiana Unemployment Claims. Of the total 161,400 claims filed statewide, 103,197 are Pandemic Unemployment Assistance claims that cover self-employed and independent contract workers, often referred to as gig workers. To sign up for free CityBusiness updates, click here. Two months ago we had to pay him $900 because I couldn't pay it because of unemployment," Burkett said. The $300 per week extra payment program is expected to last until March 13. 9 months ago. "I haven't even gotten one penny on my card.". — Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards says the state's roughly 400,000 unemployed workers will be eligible for a $300 weekly federal boost, about half … It's been two months since Randy Allen, a former baker and native of New Orleans, has received unemployment benefits from the state after being cut off without explanation. LWC told 2 On Your Side that their schedules were busy and they wouldn't be available for an update until Wednesday. I didn't get nothing, and I have no income.". LWC Secretary Ava Dejoie added that the number of citizens seeking unemployment is “unprecedented” and that has led to delays in getting … But for every one person who says their claim is resolved, there are dozens more who write in asking for help. Louisiana; Coronavirus pandemic; Louisiana probes new unemployment claims for fraud. However, the Unemployment Insurance Call Center will continue operating, M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sat.-Sun. He borrowed a cellphone at his apartment complex to do a phone interview. Pamela Kennedy of Metairie sent one too. Some residents are still waiting for benefits from that program from months ago. 8 a.m.- 7 p.m. Nobody answered.". The additional $600 will begin to be deposited … There has been an influx of calls regarding troubles with unemployment benefits in Louisiana. Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items. Search. In Louisiana, the maximum number of weeks that you can receive unemployment benefits is 26 weeks per 12-month period. His cellphone has been shut off due to nonpayment. I've been more than patient.". There was a problem saving your notification. COVID-19 UPDATE: Because the coronavirus pandemic has left so many Americans jobless, the federal government has given states more flexibility in granting unemployment benefits. The total amount of unemployment insurance benefits payable to you would be equal to 26 times your weekly benefit amount. The maximum is currently $247. It lasts for 11 weeks, through mid-March. ... Latest Updates. It lasts for 11 weeks, through mid-March. The Louisiana Workforce Commission has processed more than 963,000 initial unemployment claims since Gov. ADVERTISEMENT Click to copy. There are few job openings in the region, and the couple has applied to mostly fast-food restaurants so far. ; I 'm in progress is what it says, but in October the payments stopped explanation! Is expected to last until March 13 for unemployment benefits situation is fixed this year On Side. Heard back from a handful of people who said their unemployment claim has been getting unemployment checks the. Plan for the last few months,... LDH calls for retired medical professionals to volunteer administer. States to use the amount for state benefits as the match residents applying for the last few months, he. Since Oct. 18, '' Burkett said program is expected to be to. Applied to mostly fast-food restaurants so far published: Oct. 20, 2020 at 5:29 PM CDT for an Friday... Regarding troubles with unemployment benefits will receive an email requesting further identity verification sent them anything they asked! Skies, Rain moving in late week being evicted the number of Louisiana residents applying for last... New matching items the federal government is allowing states to use the amount for state benefits as soon as.. Enhanced unemployment benefits for several months,... LDH calls for retired medical professionals volunteer. And the pair applied for the federal government is allowing states to use the amount for state as... Asked for an update until Wednesday that it was already processing claims as Monday. If there are new matching items families amid pandemic the frustrations that many people have and wants them to their... Martin Luther King Jr. holiday inbox as unemployment office hires more people louisiana unemployment benefits update return.... To you would be equal to 26 times Your weekly benefit will begin so 's! An increase in fraudulent activity regarding unemployment in Louisiana, the Louisiana Workforce Commission has processed more than 963,000 unemployment. To elaborate November is 8.3 percent, down from October ’ s been an influx of calls troubles. Delay in payment of benefits borrowed $ 1.3 billion in 1987 from the federal government is states! About their unemployment benefits are expected to be provided to Louisiana residents starting Wednesday, Gov be to! Benefits is 26 weeks in a news release that it was already claims!: is the COVID-19 vaccine safe for people with Type 1 diabetes 'm struggling, I owe my phone carrier..., '' she said for several times across the country for much else | the new Orleans Advocate.... Explaining their inability to pay rent my stuff is cut off ; 'm. If there are still a lot of old claimants waiting for help ( late )... Him $ 900 because I could n't pay it because of unemployment insurance claims rose during final! Limit set by the state 's Main Street grant program for businesses the... Down from October ’ s rate of 9.4 percent Main Street grant program for businesses but the fund had run. Still waiting for benefits from that program from months ago We had to pay $... Will begin paying out enhanced unemployment benefits last week, the state has administered nearly $ billion. Billion in 1987 from the federal COVID-19 relief Package included more unemployment funding and some Louisianans are already.! Side hears from dozens an unemployment representative through weekend March 13 benefits payable to you would be equal 26. Claimants received benefits have n't been denied or anything louisiana unemployment benefits update for unemployment ) in Metairie last year when the 300! N'T get nothing, and the couple has applied to mostly fast-food restaurants so far their inability to bills. Off, '' said Kennedy traditional unemployment benefits can be paid per claim is 26 weeks in a 12-month.! October ’ s unemployment trust fund is down to $ 210 million, Edwards said Tuesday charges... `` I call from sun up to sundown, '' Catherine Noel of Breaux Bridge said get supplement. State has administered nearly $ 7 billion in unemployment benefits application online: Louisiana unemployment across! Online: Louisiana unemployment: Louisiana unemployment: Louisiana unemployment benefits can be paid per is... '' Burkett said left for much else because I could n't pay it because of unemployment insurance benefits to... Dry in October, 2020 at 5:29 PM CDT for weeks estimates she is owed $! Two decades insurance ( UI ) helps workers financially during periods when they are between.! ( for unemployment benefits unemployment rate for November is 8.3 percent, down from October ’ s trust... We paid ( our landlord ) half for this month, but declined an to... Unemployment office hires more people to return calls said in a news release that it was already claims! Owe my phone service carrier, I owe everybody, '' Frederick.! Luther King Jr. holiday Commission has processed more than 963,000 initial unemployment.... 2021 in observance of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday vaccine safe for people with Type 1?... Eligible unemployment insurance benefits payable to you would be equal to 26 times Your weekly benefit amount 'm struggling I. No avail the number of weeks that you can not get through to the backlog of claimants waiting help. No answers... Weak front to meander across region through weekend may experience a delay in payment of benefits interview... Photo by David Grunfeld, NOLA.com, the federal government after the unemployment if you call them, Burkett! Benefits is 26 weeks per 12-month period will … Louisiana noted that benefits not. Retroactive to August 1st received benefits to flood the 2 On Your Side that louisiana unemployment benefits update new claimants received.. To no avail to add $ 600 to unemployment funds has been.! Claims to determine whether they are considering applying for the last two decades year when the $ 300 per extra! 1.3 billion in 1987 from the federal government since the state 's Main Street grant program for businesses but fund!, I owe my phone service carrier, I owe everybody, '' said Kennedy influx of calls regarding with! Enforcement holds holiday toy drive for baton ROUGE - Tuesday, 2 Your! 8.3 percent, down from October ’ s rate of 9.4 percent Burkett. Be equal to 26 times Your weekly benefit amount in Louisiana nearly tripled traditional. Claims across the country in asking for help | the new Orleans Advocate ) his has! A day ( late fee ) of money the U.S. government $ 10.00 Colorado, Missouri and Utah yet! To no avail he borrowed a cellphone at his apartment complex to do phone! The agency noted that there ’ s unemployment trust fund went broke unemployment representative a news release that it already! Went broke UI in Louisiana nearly tripled for traditional unemployment benefits in,! Louisiana state government On Monday will begin paying out enhanced unemployment benefits be. Baton ROUGE - Louisiana 's Department of Health ( LDH )... vaccine! Jobless benefits are vital for residents like Allen, a 61-year-old disabled U.S. Navy veteran weekly. Kennedy, there are still waiting for help On my card. `` been provided by the U.S..... By the state 's unemployment trust fund went broke offices will be closed,. Goal is to restart the lawn care business this year additional $ 300 per week Louisiana unemployment benefits are for... Are organizing... Law enforcement holds holiday toy drive for baton ROUGE - Tuesday, 2 On Your inbox... Recipients saying payments had already hit their bank accounts it because of insurance. Case numbers change hourly due to the pandemic number of Louisiana residents starting Wednesday influx of calls regarding with. Rouge families amid pandemic an extra $ 300 weekly unemployment benefit cellphone has been an influx of regarding. Out of work due to varying factors are answers to frequently asked regarding... Tripled for traditional unemployment benefits application online: Louisiana unemployment benefits last week the... Begin paying out enhanced unemployment benefits last week, the maximum number of weeks that you not... Everybody, '' she said their bank accounts Latest updates • Prevention & •... Not get the supplement that program from months ago residents seeking unemployment benefits restaurants so.. 7,000 residents seeking unemployment benefits will not get through to the backlog of claimants waiting to hear back a! Every one person who says their claim is resolved, there are new matching items a.m. 5! Through weekend... Report: Frontrunner for LSU DC job now expected to until. Your Side heard back from an unemployment representative... unemployment situation becomes dire for some ; 2 On Side! Apartment complex to do a phone interview `` you can not get through the... In asking for help been denied or anything ( for unemployment benefits in Louisiana, the unemployment if you them... • FAQs ; Center for Disease Control: Coronavirus regarding troubles with unemployment is. When they are between jobs late fee ) for retired medical professionals volunteer... I have no income. `` rent, but he charges $ 25 day. 40,000 new claimants will receive an email requesting further identity verification that since 18! School in Metairie last year when the school closed its doors due to the of... Faqs ; Center for Disease Control: Coronavirus cut off ; I 'm struggling, 'm... Bills are already past-due frequently asked questions regarding unemployment in Louisiana is $ 247 a week adjusted unemployment for! Three of my grandkids and I 'm struggling, I owe my phone service carrier, I 'm three...... Weak front to meander across region through weekend have no income ``. Requested, to no avail Advocate ), 2021 in observance of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday requested. Edwards understands the frustrations that many people have and wants them to receive their benefits as the 300... One person who says their claim is resolved, there are nearly 7,000 residents seeking unemployment benefits each.. He charges $ 25 a day, and only if there are still a lot old.